Are you unhappy with the appearance of your gums? Crawford Leishman Dental offers treatments in Orem that can help restore your gum line. We understand that receding gums can be a source of insecurity, discomfort, and health concern, and we want to help you feel confident about your smile again. While gum recession is not usually painful, it can lead to tooth sensitivity and an increased risk of cavities. Left untreated, it can also eventually lead to tooth loss.
What is Gum Recession, and What Are the Symptoms?
Gum recession is when the gum tissue around the teeth wears away, exposing more of the tooth’s root. Gum recession can happen gradually over time, or it can happen suddenly due to an injury. Symptoms of gum recession include:
- Sensitive Teeth
- Inflamed Gums
- Bleeding Gums
- Receding Gum Line
- Exposed Tooth Roots
If you are experiencing any of these symptoms, please call our office to schedule an appointment.
Causes of Gum Recession
There are a few different things that can cause gum recession, including:
- Brushing Too Hard: This can cause the gums to recede over time.
- Periodontal Disease: This is an infection of the gums that can cause the gum tissue to break down.
- Grinding or Clenching: This can put undue pressure on the gums and cause them to recede.
- Smoking: This can also lead to gum recession over time.
- Genetics: Some people are more prone to gum recession due to genetics.
How to Prevent Gum Recession
While you may not be able to completely prevent gum recession if you are predisposed to it due to genetics, there are a few things you can do to help slow the process down and keep your gums healthy:
- Brush and Floss Regularly: This will help remove plaque and bacteria from your teeth and gums and help keep your gums healthy.
- Use a Soft-Bristled Toothbrush: This will help avoid irritating the gums.
- Avoid Smoking: This will help keep the gums healthy and prevent further recession.
- See Your Dentist Regularly: This will help catch any problems early and prevent further damage.
Treatment Options for Gum Recession
If you are experiencing gum recession, there are a few treatment options available:
- Gum Grafting: Gum grafting is a surgical procedure in which gum tissue is taken from another part of the mouth and grafted onto the affected area.
- Laser Treatment: This is a new, non-invasive treatment option that can help to improve the appearance of the gums.
- Pocket Reduction: This is a procedure in which we reduce the pockets around the teeth to help the gums reattach to the teeth.
- Root Scaling and Planing: This is a procedure in which the roots of the teeth are cleaned and smoothed to help the gums reattach to the teeth.
Alternative Treatment Options
If you suffer from bruxism or the habit of grinding your teeth, you should try to focus on stopping. Tooth grinding or clenching can cause a host of problems in addition to gum recession. Crawford Leishman Dental can help with solutions, including custom nightguards to prevent you from grinding your teeth while you sleep.
Healthy Gums for a Healthy Smile in Orem, Utah
Most people take good care of their teeth. But don’t forget your gums. You shouldn’t neglect them, especially if you’re experiencing a problem with recession. Healthy gums can improve your overall health and quality of life, and we can help you restore your gum line or look into some great options.
Dr. Chris Crawford, Dr. Rick Leishman, and Dr. Matt Fletcher will work hard to create a tailored treatment plan for you. We want you to have the best possible experience and results from your treatment.